This website is still under construction. Thank you for your patience.

G'Day!!

See where I go and what I get up to on my travels, which lead me to all the corners of the world!
Powered by Blogger.
Friday 1 September 2006

Day # 1: Milan, Italy "Barely started, already delayed"

Today is the big day! I am off on my Round-The-World Gap Year!

I haven't slept all night, I'm so excited!

This morning I had to print some final documents, making sure that everything is in order. I also colour-copied my national ID and other cards again, so I can use them as dummies in my wallet and not lose my originals. I also had to pack the last few things into my hand luggage.

At 9.15am this morning, mum, dad, Sonja and I set off towards Düsseldorf International Airport, picking up grandma Hanna and granddad Helmut on the way.

At the Alitalia counter, I learned that my onward-flight from Milan, Italy to Accra, Ghana had been cancelled. Instead of having only a short transit, my flight would now leave Milan at 4.30am tomorrow morning. Cleverly, I nearly strangled myself with my hand luggage and backpack (I had my shoulder-strap hand bag worn cross-body, and my backpack over it and Imay have tried to take them off the wrong way round) but I eventually won the battle against my own luggage. As per our family tradition, we all went to Starbucks at the airport, before I had to board my flight. Every time a Kaufmann leaves or arrives at Düsseldorf International Airport (DUS), we get frappuccinos and muffins all around, mainly because we don't have a Starbucks in Solingen.

When I checked my backpack in, I was amazed to find I had actually managed to keep it below the magical 20kg maximum weight mark. 19.1kg - I'm good, even if I say so myself! But after the coffees, it was time to say goodbye. Until I got to gate B80 at 11.45am , I had managed not to cry and not to get too affected. But having to say goodbye for a year is not that easy. I could have kicked myself for going even though I am so looking forward to the whole experience.

Even my flight to Milan was delayed. I have never actually flown Alitalia before but I have heard some stories. So far, they seem to be coming true.... They drove us out to the Alitalia Express plane in a small bus and I took my seat 9A just above the wings. Mum, dad, Sonja and my grandparents had made their way to the rooftop terrace of the airport - I could see them from the plane waving goodbye.

We arrived in Milan about 30 minutes late. Back in Düsseldorf I was told I would have to go to the Alitalia counter in order to get a voucher for a hotel. After waiting in line for over an hour, I was finally sent to the office or Airport2000. Within minutes, I had the voucher and got sent to a bus along with some other Ghana travellers. We got driven out to the UNA Malpensa Hotel on the outskirts of the city. Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to actually see the city centre of Milan. The hotel however is very nice. I was given a double-room to myself, everything is very stylish and lots of marble. Who would have thought that Alitalia actually pays so much for its flight cancellations?

It's 26°C here in Italy today, so I just had a shower and I am now waiting for dinner, which is included in the voucher. I also wrote an email to Reverend Ezekiel (my host in Ghana) to let him know that I will not be there 10pm tonight so he doesn't wait for me at the airport. It all went too smoothly, I guess... something had to go wrong, but I didn't think it'd be the very first leg of the trip. At the moment, I have no idea when we will get to Ghana - we've heard we could be there early tomorrow morning, or 10pm tomorrow night. I have been told we would get a wake up call at 1am, because we have to go back to the airport at 2am, but this can still change.

I am just glad I kept my pyjama in my hand luggage.

0 comments: