This website is still under construction. Thank you for your patience.

G'Day!!

See where I go and what I get up to on my travels, which lead me to all the corners of the world!
Powered by Blogger.
Friday 8 September 2006

Day # 8: Accra, Ghana "Power cuts in Accra"

I have had two long days!

First of all, yesterday morning, Kenneth from work gave me a missed call at 4.45am. As soon as I answered, he hung up. And after unsuccessfully trying to get back to sleep, a German lady called at 5.30am because she had the wrong number. Absolutely brilliant start to the day!

Kenneth was supposed to pick me up at 8am this morning to get to work but he was running late. So I got my camera out and took a few photographs around the house.

The way to work goes as follows: Trotro to a place called Mile 7 (which I can recognise by a big radio mast). There we have to get off the trotro and walk around a corner to a side street on the left, where we have to take another trotro. From there, I have to take another trotro to the market in Lapaz. There we have to cross the street (trickier than you'd imagine!) and walk down the road towards a blue tower, from where we then catch the trotro to Abeka and P&P.

I have been spending all day yesterday copying Anita's journalism notes from university. She is a star, so kind and helpful. During my lunch break, I decided to get out of the crowded office (where the only computer is still running Windows 95) and went across the road to the shops and internet café to get myself some food and check my emails. And just my luck, as soon as I got there, there was a major power cut, which affected all of Abeka.

When I got back to the office, the editor had a massive go at everyone in Ewe but nobo
dy would tell me what this was about. I feel uncomfortable working there, and I don't like when people talk in a different language in my presence without even offering an explanation. Whenever I have to speak German in front of somebody who doesn't understand it, I try to translate at least the gist of it later.

I was glad when I got back to the house, and spent the entire evening playing outside with the kids, chatting to Laura and helping to prepapre dinner, which was a dough called Banku with a spicy meat stew. By the way, I am glad I wasn't overreacting to the amount of spices in the food. Laura finds it hot as well! I'm sure my dad would appreciate it though, so I might get the recipe for him.

I can't believe that I've been in Africa a week tomorrow! Time flies! Kenneth picked me up again this morning but was even later because the traffic was just horrific. Because there was once again nothing to do for me, I was allowed to go to the internet café across the street so I could write and send my article for Itchy Feet Magazine. Luckily that worked before the power cut out again.

The rest of the day, I just sat around the office again, being bored. I asked several times wh
ether there was anything I could do or anybody needed help or whether I could go out on a story with anyone. No replies. So I just sat around and watched the time tick by. Slowly. While being in everyone's way.

Getting home has taken 3/4 hours today because we just couldn't find a trotro that still had space. I have noticed that people on the street have started to call me "Obroni". And the men here try and call me all sorts of girl names, just to see to which one I react. Stupid, really, because they keep calling me African names and my name is not from Ghana.

I asked Reverend this evening what "Obroni" actually means - It's the local word for white person or white lady. I am currently in the internet café in Achimota with Phebe and Laura - and Thomas Terbeck from Itchy Feet Magazine already answered!! They want to publish my story in the October issue already! We're all just back from church - it's Friday prayers and we all joined in. This is Laura's first service here at Power & Truth and she was just as amazed as I still am! The services are unusual - at least for us - and the pastor literally screams into the microphone "raise your voice and start praying right now". Everybody starts praying at the top of their lungs, and all pray at the same time! Fascinating!!

It is getting pretty late now, the services here are always very long. Phebe tells us, the men will now go to Reverend's house and have a meeting. It is up to us to keep the kids entertained - read: tire them out, and then we'll get to go to bed! I can't wait!



0 comments: